Let's Go!

My photo
Palm Beach, NSW, Australia
"There are only three sports. Mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games." So wrote Ernest Hemingway. With this clearly defined, The Gonz, dressed in his best, announced "Let's go!"

Patea


The breakwater remained impassable.

Days 94-100, Feb 27 Mar 7 2010

Whether it was anxiety brought about by the tsunami warning or the resultant day’s excursion added to the excitement of my encounter with the pylons three days earlier, I am unsure, however I felt decidedly ‘lazy’ upon waking despite it being another perfect day.
I lay in bed until 9:00am and did very little except to walk the couple of kilometres up the hill to the small township of Patea where I indulged in bacon & eggs, a cappuccino (or two), and a read of the newspaper. The walk taking me past the local golf links and it’s resident greenkeepers.

Hazards?

Patea Golf Course Greenkeeper.

The following day was spent prepping and organising for a departure the day after. This has the effect of getting my head in the right place. Small but critical tasks such as adjusting the seat, filling water bladders, reviewing maps, tightening ropes… they all help me psyche myself.
Despite my preparations however I was not ready to tackle very strong and gusty north-westerlies so I took the opportunity to visit a farm compliments of one of my newfound friends. Chooks, horses, cows, and pigs all. I felt sorry for the 350kg pig who had outlived his usefulness because the sows were unable to bear his weight. I’m not sure if the quiet word I had in his ear suggesting he commence an exercise routine was understood.


350kg and too big for the girls.

Another day and the winds had still not abated so the local café again saw to my needs while I reviewed the form for the upcoming weekend’s sports.

St George’s Anglican Church built 1885 with "an A-frame construction of five equilateral triangles, two sides of each forming the roof rafters which are carried down to floor level... projecting beyond the walls functioning as buttresses, providing stability in the coastal Patea winds."

When I rose on Friday the day looked promising but the weather report advised that the winds would be back with a vengeance that afternoon. This was confirmed whilst sharing my thoughts with a holidaying commercial fisherman. He went on to warn me about the 5 knot north-to-south current I’d have to tackle that ran all the way down and into Cook Strait, but then seemed surprised when he learnt I’d come up from there.
The day was not wasted however as I was kindly driven to Hawera and Tawhiti Museum. A renowned, privately owned museum that uses life size exhibits and scale models to capture the heritage of the early European settlers of South Taranaki. It is an extraordinary recreation and all the work on one man, Nigel Ogle, a former school art teacher. A great day out and extremely educational!


Saturday morning and gale force south-easterlies. Despite its favourable direction I had learnt my lesson when I’d last attempted to depart Patea and its breakwater in the same such conditions. I would be patient and wait for the still conditions that should follow whilst not missing the opportunity for a leisurely morning at ‘my’ café.

Coffee and newspaper.

Sunday’s forecast looked good for Monday so I once again began my preparations whilst saying goodbye to Patea.

An impressive home. It appeared to be unoccupied.