Let's Go!

My photo
Palm Beach, NSW, Australia
"There are only three sports. Mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games." So wrote Ernest Hemingway. With this clearly defined, The Gonz, dressed in his best, announced "Let's go!"

No Excuses

Day 101, Mar 8 2010

I felt that it might be prudent to take a stroll to the breakwater and review the conditions before beginning my preparations in earnest. There was no surf and no wind and the sky was blue. It was time to move on.

I was standing beside the kayak at the boat ramp saying goodbye to some of the campers who’d become my friends over the past 11 days when I was interrupted by someone shouting “Hey Aussie, you can’t go anywhere without this!” Bill came marching down the road with my paddle in hand. I’d left it at the campground. Perhaps it was a subconscious decision on my part to overlook this somewhat important piece of equipment. Not having a paddle would certainly have provided me with sound justification to head to the Red Rock CafĂ©. I mean it’s not an oversight that I’d ‘discover’ an hour into the trip would it?


"Hey Aussie!"

Paddle in hand, I left the boat ramp for the second time but on this would not return. The gentle swell posed no real threat although I must admit to a momentary pang of doubt as an incoming wave threatened.

A momentary pang of doubt.
The plan was to make Ohewa Beach, a 30km paddle, which I felt was reasonable considering my lack of ‘exercise’ over the past fortnight. Just one day’s paddle in fact.
Conditions were excellent and it was an altogether uneventful trip. There were some impressive cliffs to observe. I could not recall having encountered vertical cliffs on my journey?

Impressive cliffs, although not something you‘d wish for if conditions on the water turned ugly.
Mt Taranaki (Mt Egmont), occupied a lot of my attention when I wasn’t looking ahead and despite the haze the 2 ½km high volcanic cone was an impressive sight as its proximity neared.
Mt Taranaki just visible.

My right glute (buttock) and hamstring gave me some grief and demanded constant adjustments to my seating position as I attempted to find relief. I’d lost the cushion that had worked so well when I’d capsized against the pylons and the arrangements that I’d made i.e. the two neoprene stubby coolers glued to the seat, in recognition of this fact were not working well.
Nor did the body appreciate the reminder of what was expected of it and I was thankful that my targeted beach was reached in four hours.
Ohawe Beach
The campground was located up a slight incline and although some effort was required to march my belongings up the hill I was thankful of the respite. The sun was shining and with it still being early in the afternoon I had plenty of time.

Camp Sign

34kms had been covered in 4 hours.