Let's Go!

My photo
Palm Beach, NSW, Australia
"There are only three sports. Mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games." So wrote Ernest Hemingway. With this clearly defined, The Gonz, dressed in his best, announced "Let's go!"

Reconnaissance

Day 130, Apr 6 2010
My planned departure had hit a snag. When I had made the decision to paddle up the Manukau Harbour and follow an ancient Maori portage route to the east coast, the swell forecast had promised me a respite that would provide an opportunity to paddle out from Piha Beach. From there I had hoped to paddle around the headland and cliffs to Karekere Beach, and its stretch of sand that led all the way back to the harbour mouth. Today that swell forecast had changed and any new opportunity might be days away.
The surfers were having enough trouble. A kayak had no chance and I had no desire to 'star' in an episode of 'Piha Rescue'.

I made my way down to the beach to assess the conditions with my own eyes. My fears were confirmed as I noted a solid swell. The day had drawn a number of people down to the beach and the Piha Rescue television series’ cameramen were on hand to capture any incidents. Worryingly they suggested that it might be weeks before I might find the conditions I was searching for and as I had no desire to become a subject for an upcoming episode I had no choice but to seek an alternative.
"Surf Control, Surf Control, this is Piha Lifegaurd tower. Some idiot on a kayak just got washed in, upside down onto the beach taking out every swimmer in its path. It's a catastrophe!"

Studying my maps I calculated that the trip Karekere from Piha by road was almost exactly ten kilometres. If I was going to tackle a stretch of sand of a similar distance, then surely a paved road of a similar distance to get there was not out of the question even if it would require a pre-dawn start if I was to get to Manukau at the turn of the tide.
The incredulous looks and comments I received from the locals when suggesting my new plan provided me with some cause for concern but I’d received the same looks when they’d first learned of my exploits in getting this far. A reconnaissance was needed.
I began the walk and it quickly became apparent that the road was both very narrow and very steep. For an hour-and-a-half I climbed the winding path that I’d hoped would offer me my way out. With very few opportunities to pull off to one side, the thought of sharing so many blind bends with cars in the dark worried me.
Lion Rock from altitude.

The ascent too was nothing short of extreme. The seven kilometres I covered to the Karekere Beach turn-off was a real test. I was not surprised when I noted that the path I was attempting to follow included a section of something called the Hillary Trail. Hauling a six metre, sixty kilo loaded kayak was completely out of the question.
I kid you, not!

I made my way back down the hill, stopping and crossing sides regularly to allow cars to pass. I needed a new plan and it came in the shape of a true blue Aussie V8 ute. I approached Corrie, an ocean surveyor, who had already been extremely helpful in sharing his knowledge of New Zealand’s oceans, and I soon had my ride.
I needed a new plan.