Let's Go!

My photo
Palm Beach, NSW, Australia
"There are only three sports. Mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games." So wrote Ernest Hemingway. With this clearly defined, The Gonz, dressed in his best, announced "Let's go!"

Kayaking With 'Legs'

Te Whau (Whau River)
Tomorrow, with the surf at Piha prohibting a beach departure, I will wheel my kayak, on a trolley purchased specifically for the task, along approximately 15km of beach to a point just inside Manukau Harbour. From here I launch the kayak at 10:20am being low tide, at which point the tide will begin to flow back in.
It is worthwhile noting that today I spoke with the Manukau Coastguard to discuss and confirm my plans. Whilst the claim that the waters here are the most dangerous in New Zealand might be up for debate, one undeniable fact is that the Manukau bar was responsible for the worst maritime disaster in New Zealand history when the British man-of-war HMS Orpheus* sank as she tried to enter Manukau Harbour on February 7, 1863. The tragedy cost the lives of 188 British sailors and marines out of a complement of 256.
* I have included a link with this entry for those interested in the history and reporting of the incident. Simply click on this entry's title to read the reporting of the incident in the press at the time.
I am looking forward to a quick but safe paddle to a spot called Green Bay where once again I will put the kayak on wheels. Here I will follow a route that in earlier times was utilised my the Maori for travel between the Manukau Harbour (on the Tasman west coast) and the Waitemata Harbour (on the Pacific east coast) . They paddled their canoes to Green Bay and then carried them over a short stretch of land before returning to the water and paddling down the Whau and the Avondale Streams. This is remembered in the name for Portage Road, which runs alongside the Avondale Stream and which I shall transport my own vessel to some arranged accommodation.
On Thursday I aim to re-enter water near Avondale Racecourse and then taking a course that will see me paddle beneath Auckland’s Harbour Bridge before skirting the CBD and from there it will be a short paddle back to Ferg’s Kayaks and the very spot I left over four months ago.