Let's Go!

My photo
Palm Beach, NSW, Australia
"There are only three sports. Mountain climbing, bullfighting and motor racing - all the rest being games." So wrote Ernest Hemingway. With this clearly defined, The Gonz, dressed in his best, announced "Let's go!"

Not to Be

Day 112, Mar 19 2010
In complete contrast to the previous evening. Last night had been almost balmy. I was up and ready to move on and had thankfully discovered a far shorter and less painful route to the river’s edge that also placed me closer to the river mouth which I was aiming for. Most importantly however, it did not have the mud flats to contend with when the tide was out, as it was on this morning at 8:30am.
Looking upstream. On the previous day I'd paddled up around the bend where it bent back tightly towards the right.
Despite the low tide I did not have to contend with the mud flat and the river mouth was not far.

I paddled towards the river mouth only to be greeted by surging surf. I landed on one side and took a quick look but saw no obvious means of escape so I paddled across to the opposite side where three fisherman were trying their luck.
Upon landing I made my way towards them. They were obviously interested in what I had in mind and I asked them for their thoughts. I got the impression that they were very keen to see me try but had little real or useful insight that they could offer.
One of the fishermen. There was just way too much water to battle.

I thought about walking and swimming the kayak out through the waves but got only as far as my waist before realising that it was too deep and there was just too much water coming in with very little relief between waves.
I stood there for another hour trying to keep warm whilst watching to see if the conditions might alter enough to make an attempt feasible but it was not to be. I made my way back up the river to where only hours earlier I’d launched.
I returned to the campsite and checked myself back in. Hugh offered me the use of a shed with a bed in it for the price of a tent site which I was thankful for. Better to store my equipment, I got a mattress, and it saves the trouble to pitching and then packing away the tent.
A couple of extremely nice women, Leanda and Margi (KD Lang fans), who’d watched me wash in yesterday at the river mouth drove the car to where the kayak rested and allowed me to throw all my gear inside saving me four trips and leaving me with just the kayak to carry back.
By midday I’d had a hot shower and two egg & bacon hamburgers although Hugh, who’d had a night out, had to start again after forgetting to cook the patties. I later had a three hour afternoon nap.
I took a stroll late in the afternoon/early evening and the seas had definitely eased off auguring well for another attempt the following morning.